Tor Norretranders, The User Illusion, Cutting Consciousness Down to Size (Penguin, 1999).
“Pray, Mr. Babbage.”Charles Baggage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher (Longman and Co., 1864).
“Learning is fundamentally a conversation.” Roger Schank, Education Outrage Blog.
“Neurons that fire together, wire together.” Carla Shatz, “The Developing Brain”. Scientific American.
Canadian neuropsychologist Donald Hebb came up with the concept in 1949. Every experience, thought, feeling, and physical sensation triggers thousands of neurons, which form a neural network. When you repeat an experience over and over, the brain learns to trigger the same neurons each time. It can be beneficial to have neurons wired together. The neural network helps us learn, store, and recall information in an effective way. (Wikipedia).
Karen Stephenson, What Knowledge Tears Apart, Networks Make Whole. Internal Communication Focus, no. 36
“learning animals.” Eric Schmidt, in How Google Works
Chris Argyris, Teaching Smart People How to Learn. Harvard Business Review, May 1991.
Double Loop Learning in Organizations, Harvard Business Review, September 1977.
“unconscious emotional brain is a powerful parallel processor.” Daniel Kahneman , Thinking Fast and Slow.
“Experiential Learning,” Aristotle, Nichomachean Ethics.
Rogers, C.R. & Freiberg, H.J. Freedom to Learn (3rd Ed). (Merrill/Macmillan, 1994).
“unofficial, unscheduled, impromptu way most of us learn to do our jobs.” Jay Cross, Informal Learning (Jossey-Bass, 2006).
“social learning.” Albert Bandura, Social Learning Theory. New York: (General Learning Press, 1977).
“dong their jobs better.” Jane Hart, Social Learning Handbook. (Self-published, 2011).
“where people co-create.” Tony Bingham and Marcia Connor. The New Social Learning (ATD Press, 2015).
“Situated Learning.” Jean Lave and Etienne Wenger. Situated Learning: Legitimate Peripheral Participation (Cambridge University Press, 1991).
“Serendipitous Learning.” Ross Dawson, Creating Enhanced Serendipity in Trends in the Living Networks (May 28, 2006).
“Performance Support.” Gloria Gery, Electronic Performance Support System (Self published, 1991).
Insights into Learning in Organizations
(articles by Jay)
- Making Business Decisions: the Heart and the Hand
- Productivity in the Network Era
- Working Smarter Thought Workscaping
- Creating Leaders for the 21st Century
- Speaking the Language of Business
- Sight Mammals
- Ten Commandments for Creating Online Learning
- Perfect Pitch and What to Say
- Managers, the Secret Weapon for Developing Better Employees.
- How to Replace Top-down Training with Collaborative Learning.
- What Universities Must Learn about Social Networks
- Learning Strategy — an investment in the future.
- Forty columns on Effectivenessfor Chief Learning Officer Magazine. 2003-2012
- Not Without Purpose. for T+D magazine. 2006.
- Why Corporate Training is Broken and How to Fix It
- Keeping Up With the Pace of Change
- You Built It, Now Promote It